My 2022 Beekeeping Season

I started the year with two colonies that over wintered well. I was intending to increase to 4 hives this season.   I captured my first ever swarm, in April and bought another swarm off Gary our Treasurer.  Both these are now in hives and developing well after a slow start. I extracted some spring honey with a lot of oil seed rape in it from my older hives which was very nice.

In May I was approached by a near neighbour who wished to have a couple of hives on their property, “To help the planet’s future”. They did not wish to become involved in the upkeep but just wanted some bees to watch from a distance while doing their bit for the environment. Sourcing bees in May proved quite difficult as last year’s nuclei had gone and this season’s not ready yet. I bought some bees from Blorenge Mountain Bees which have were hived successfully despite an  unexpected thunderstorm right in the middle of the moving process. Welsh bees are obviously used to being rained on!

I now have 6 colonies to look after, 4 on site and 2 in an out apiary, which is enough for me, as all of my equipment in now in use. My bee shed is looking rather emptier than before but has taken on a new role becoming an adventure playground for some very persistent wasps. All six hives are producing honey and I have extracted summer honey from the oldest hives again.

2022 is developing into a good year for me and hopefully for everyone else in NEWBKA.

Ed Payne
Secretary NEWBKA